Privacy and Security Policies
Teaching Strategies uses great care to protect your credit card and personal contact information when you buy from the Teaching Strategies Web site.
The Teaching Strategies online bookshop runs on a secure server, which means that orders placed with most Web browsers will be encrypted. We use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), which is an industry-standard security protocol encryption technology and an encryption feature included in most modern Internet browsers. SSL encrypts your credit card number as it travels over the Internet.
We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing. It is important for you to protect yourself against unauthorized access to your password or to your computer. Be sure to SIGN OUT when you are finished using the Teaching Strategies Web site, especially if you are using a shared computer. Store your password in a secure location and never share it with others. This is particularly important if your company uses the “bill later” credit account feature, which authorizes us to invoice your company when an order is placed.
Credit card processing companies and credit card companies do not receive, nor do they store, any data about you except for the sole purpose of expediting your purchases from our site.
Whenever your credit card information is requested or displayed, you’ll notice that our Internet URL address begins with “https” (instead of “http”) and an unbroken icon appears in your status bar. This “s” in the address means that the site is being accessed over a secure connection and that encryption is being performed using SSL. Since Teaching Strategies has a valid SSL certificate, you can have confidence that you are sending information to the right place and know you are doing business at a secure site. After you have submitted an online bookshop order, you will receive an e-mail confirmation and order summary. The order summary will contain the last four digits of your credit card number, your name and “Bill To” mailing address (including your phone number), and your e-mail address. The order summary will also contain the “Primary Contact” name, e-mail address, and phone number.
Teaching Strategies knows that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust.
What Personal Information About Customers Does Teaching Strategies Gather?
Account Information: We receive and store the contact information you give us if you set up an account (sometimes referred to as “become a member” or “join our community.”). For your protection, if you make a purchase on our Web site using a credit card, we store only the last four digits of your credit card number and the credit card’s expiration month and year. We use the information that you provide (excluding your credit card information) for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing training for you, improving our services, and communicating with you about our products and services.
Order or Registration Information: In the process of making a purchase through our bookshop or registering for a conference online, you will be asked to provide contact and billing information. If you opt not to create an account with Teaching Strategies, this information will only be used to process your order or registration.
Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many Web sites, we use “cookies,” and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses the Teaching Strategies Web site. We do not use it to send “pop-up” advertising, and we do not sell the information to other companies.
Examples of the information we collect include the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; login; e-mail address; password; computer and connection information such as browser type and version, operating system, and platform; purchase history; the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through, and from our Web site, including date and time; and cookie number.
E-Mail Communications: If you place an order with us, we will use your e-mail address to communicate with you regarding your order. If you use GOLD® online, we may also send you monthly e-mails with information about GOLD™ and related resources. We will not send you our other marketing e-mails, about Teaching Strategies products and services, unless you subscribe to them. When you subscribe to our marketing e-mails, you are giving us permission to communicate with you.
It’s easy to unsubscribe from our marketing e-mails and the e-mails sent to GOLD® online users. Each e-mail you receive will contain a link through which you can quickly and easily unsubscribe.
If you are a member of the Teaching Strategies Community, you may choose to subscribe to e-mail alerts, on a per-discussion basis. In this case, we will send you an e-mail when a new comment is posted to a discussion you’ve subscribed to. You can unsubscribe to these e-mail alerts on the “Manage E-mail Subscriptions” page that’s accessed via the “My E-mail Alerts” link when you are signed into the Community.
If you have any questions regarding e-mail communications, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser. They enable our systems to recognize your browser and to provide features like saving your shopping cart and retaining your conference waiting lists.
- The “help” portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of our most important features, so we recommend that you leave them turned on.
- Teaching Strategies does not track your activities across other sites, such as social media or other third-party sites, nor does it share or gather information about you from other sites.
Does Teaching Strategies Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business. We will not sell or disclose any of the information which we collect from you to any third parties except in the following limited circumstances:
- We will disclose the data we collect if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that disclosure is necessary (a) to obey the law or comply with legal process served on us or our affiliates; (b) to protect and defend our rights or property or the rights or property of other users of our website; or (c) to act in an emergency to protect the personal safety of users of our website or the public.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input during the checkout process.
- We employ instant credit card verification. Once your credit card number is verified, it is deleted, with the exception of the last four digits and the credit card’s expiration month and year, which are encrypted by SSL.
- We retain only the last four digits of your credit card number and the credit card’s expiration month and year for identification purposes in case you later want a refund.
- It is important for you to protect yourself against unauthorized access to your password or to your computer. Be sure to LOG OFF when you are finished using the Teaching Strategies Web site, especially if you are using a shared computer. Store your password in a secure location and never share it with others. This is particularly important if your company uses the “bill later” credit account feature, which authorizes us to invoice your company when an order is placed.
Is My Personal Data Available To Third Parties Through Links To Other Sites On The Teaching Strategies Site?
Links to social media, such as Facebook and Pinterest are available through the Teaching Strategies website, as are links to websites that provide you with more information and resources. We do not gather data about you from those available links, nor can those sites gather any data we have collected about you if you choose to visit them using the links on our site. However, Teaching Strategies is not responsible for any exposure of your personal data to other parties once you leave our site and enter another site.
How does Teaching Strategies respond to the Do Not Track flag in my browser?
Teaching Strategies websites and services do not respond to the Do Not Track flag because Teaching Strategies does not engage in any of the cross-site tracking activities that the Do Not Track flag was designed to protect you against.
Where Can I View, Modify or Update My Contact Information?
Each time you log on to the Teaching Strategies Web site, you will see your customer profile. We suggest that you review your customer profile and keep it current at all times.
What Choices Do I Have?
- You may visit our site and take advantage of the free content without providing any information at all.
- When you make a purchase, you can bypass the account setup process. This means that the contact information we need to bill, ship, and process your order will be stored only for the purpose of filling your order. This information cannot be retrieved on the Teaching Strategies Web site. The next time you make a purchase, you will have to reenter this data.
If you have any concerns about security or privacy on the Teaching Strategies Web site, please complete our online Customer Support Form. A Customer Support Specialist will address your concerns.